Saturday, January 22, 2011

Mixed Emotions

P1030031

Today was the nicest weather a gal could ask for – the sun shining yet still a little crisp.  The kids and I went for a walk.  While on the walk I was thinking that this is what I’m going to miss A LOT about being here. 

I’m going to miss that it is just me and the kids, no neighbors, no one driving on the road.  I love the quiet.  Sage pushed Charly in the stroller and Jack road his bike backwards the entire time.  We walked in the middle of the road.  One car and one tractor passed us.  (We bring the kids and dogs in close and sit on the side of the road until a car passes.  Well, we ask the dogs to sit and so the kids do it too.  Whenever we go visit my mom in Salt Lake it is so funny to watch the kids because every time a car passes they stop and sit down – confusion ensues with parked cars.  It makes for very long walks up and down her block.)  We watched a calf watch us.  Everyone was happy today.  It was so peaceful.  I started to think that I’m going to miss this…

…but then I started thinking about our Christmas tree.  :)  And I remember one reason why it will be good to go.  I didn’t share about our tree, did I?  It makes me chuckle.  Joel and I were talking before Christmas during all of his job interviews whether we just wanted to stay.  There are many many many things that we LOVE about being here, and how it is good for our kids.  Perhaps we were given an opportunity to choose being here.  We were having this discussion while driving to our little town to buy a Christmas tree.  The local fruit stand was selling trees.  We got out and were accosted by the man and woman.  They had obviously just doped up on something and were scaring us and the children.  They were bouncing around, in our personal space, saying HO HO HO every 5 seconds.  I just can’t describe it right.  But Jack picked out a tree and Joel asked how much and the man said $40.  Joel and I were silent.  He asked, “Is that too much?”  Joel and I an unison said “Yes”.  “Okay, $15.”  Sold!  We got in the car and I looked at Joel and said, “Forget everything that I just said about staying.  Get us out of here!”  Our little life right now is absolutely heaven.  Perfect.  I really love absolutely everything about it.  But Jack is starting school soon, and we are going to have to start interacting with the rest of the world.  There are some absolutely wonderful people here who I love and adore, but no one we know has kids our age and lives in Irrigon.  It was just a timely conversation that we had, and not to say there aren’t people like that in other places, but hopefully there will be more of a peer group for the kids.

And then I remember that this doesn’t have to be the end of going on walk with the kids!  I am still going to thoroughly enjoy being with my kids and we are still going to have peaceful happy days together.  So I think perhaps the day to day things might change, but we will still have a many days like these to come.

4 comments:

tina said...

Moving is totally stressful; even when you have relocation help from the Company. It's still a stressful process. Good luck to you and your family. I think you'll be a great city girl. ;-)

tina said...

I forgot add that those folks that own that fruit stand are total tweekers, aren't they? I bought peaches from there for a pretty good price, I thought. But, they weren't ripe and basically were useless. I was quite unhappy, but didn't take the chance to take them back to them to get my money back. Anyway . . . doubt I'll go there again.

Maxmomma said...

You are absolutely right- there will be the loveliest days ahead too. The biggest part of those days are really you, the kids, and the kind of home you've created- that formula can't help but yield amazing things!

ali said...

Hey...maybe the Christmas doped-up tree folks were placed there to prepare you for California! Beautiful, peaceful time with your children is a gift regardless of geography. Enjoy and cherish those moments!