Sunday, June 8, 2008

Boating

We had a great treat this weekend. A salesman with CHS, John, took us out on his boat on Yellowtail Dam on the Big Horn River. It was sooooo nice. Nice weather, beautiful scenery, great outhouses and camping sites along the river. It reminded me why I want a family boat someday.
Jack had a great time. We were surprised how well he kept his hat and lifevest on without complaint. He really enjoyed going over the bumps. Jack eventually wore himself out, falling asleep standing up ready to jump with the bumps. It was too cute.
John was a great host. We would stop in secluded spots and he tried to catch a fish for Jack to see. In spots the water was so clear - you could see the bottom of the water and all the different fish inside. John caught a fish, but the line broke as he was pulling it onto the boat. It was a good size fish - I have no idea what type - but it was exciting nonetheless.

One of the highlights of the day for me was spotting a bear (yes, a BEAR!) on the shore. It is truely amazing that I spotted it. I have astigmatisms in both eyes, and we were totally far away. Joel teases me about my eyesight all the time. John humored me and went to check it out. I felt so vindicated - all those safaris really paid off! Thankfully we were on the boat, so we got to get pretty close. It did make me second guess wanting to camp there...

It was a great day - we were all exhausted by the time we got home. We are going to be seriously looking into boats now. Our house in Irrigon is about 3 miles from the Columbia River. I think that it would be so great. I have so many fond memories of Detroit Lake growing up, camping with Grandpa's boat, playing card games with gummy bears, Rocky Mountain Pizza, kneeboarding, tubing, and just floating the lake. I would like my kids to have those same type of memories. Maybe someday!

4 comments:

Britt Wright said...

How cool is that! It looks beautiful! And I love the memories of Detroit Lake...I think it would be great if you guys got a boat. (someday) It would be something fun to do when we come visit. Jack is a cute little boy!

Emily S. said...

looks like a gorgeous weekend!!

Lauren said...

Wow, wow, wow! Those are absolutely beautiful pictures! What a fun trip. We'd love to do stuff like that as much as possible. I love it! What great memories!

Way to go spotting that bear! That is incredible!

ali said...

1. Jack is delicious
2. Gorgeous place...a beautiful gift from John
3. Eyesight. What's with the eyesight? When is the last time that you had your eyesight checked and then PURCHASE the appropriate eyewear???? Huh??? This is your mother speaking....
4. Detroit Lake. Loved it. I remember one weekend when it was raining. We thought that we would go into "town" and catch a movie or go school shopping. You were horrified. "We're camping!" you exclaimed, "You don't go shopping when you're CAMPING!!!" So we found a hike that had a natural canape and we had a great "camping" day! You were even wise back then..with your glasses...that helped you see bears or whatever. Wise-good eyesight-ability to see big dangerous things...
I'm off my soapbox!
Love you TONS!
Mom
PS...I checked the blog today to see if you had any pictures of Miss Sage. I guess you're a bit busy!!!!!
Still love ya