So the story goes...
Tuesday the 23rd, I started having semi regular contractions in the morning, but they weren't real keel-ya-over-contractions, so I wasn't too phased about them. Besides, we were meeting friends in Pendleton at the Children's Museum and I didn't want to miss it. I started to time them in the car...about 10 mins apart...I was making a backup plan in my head, just in case...
After a fun morning, we returned without incident. I put the kids to bed and was able to take about a 20 minute nap before Jack and Sage woke. Around 3:30 I called Joel, me liking to tease him and very much enjoying the fact that this is the only time he promptly answers all of my phone calls. I told him half-heartedly that tonight could be the night. He said he had an errand to run and then would come home quick quick. I told him not to hurry because I didn't think I was really in labor, just having more of the same non-labor contractions.
Joel started timing the contractions and after a couple hours of being about 9 mins apart, he decided that it was time and we needed to go to the hospital. I was still in doubt if this was the real thing. So Joel scrambled to finish cleaning the house, I gave the kids a bath and threw together some sort of hospital bag. I requested a blessing for labor several months beforehand. Joel asked his dad to come down to assist in that. Their home teachers were there, so Joe and Brother Sanders joined in too. Jack wanted a blessing too so he got a new big brother blessing. Then it was off the the hospital we went.
We walked up to the labor and delivery ward, contractions were 4 to 9 mins apart. Joel had my bag and a pillow for him under his arm. The nurse at the desk looked up and asked, "Can I help you?" (Like, what are you doing here? You look lost, can I point you in the right direction?) I pointed to my belly, "Um, I was kinda hoping to have a baby." She seemed skeptical but checked me anyways - I was a 3. She seemed to want to humor us, so she told us to go for a walk and come back - she'd call the doctor to see if he wanted us to stay or not.
As soon as we started our walk, contractions really started rocking and rolling. When we got back in 30 mins, I was at a 6. The nurse said the doctor would keep us. (phew) I had tested positive for Group B Strep, so they had to start an IV and give me antibiotics.
Labor went smooth, and I must say, I rocked. I was very cool, calm, and collected. (Which was so NOT the case with the other two.) I concentrated on relaxing and my breathing, and squeezing Joel's hand or leaning into him while standing (these details are more for me to remember what worked so for next time I can remember.) Actually, what really got me through was silently singing the chorus of the new Primary Song, "I know that my Savior Loves Me" over and over - 3 breathes in, 5 breathes out. The tub, as always, really helped too to relax, and consequently slowed the labor down. When Joel was ready to get things going again, he got me out.
Sure enough, wham bam boom - little Miss Charlotte came just past midnight. I would like to say that I was very in control of myself during delivery, but I can't. :) It seriously sucks. I was ready for some pain meds then, or asked for a C Section, something, anything, just take that thing out of me. For some reason, no one took me seriously. But we both survived with little to no damage.
The nurse who checked us in seem surprised that it took less than 4 hours from when we first came in. Now isn't she glad she didn't send us home?
2 comments:
Thank you for sharing your story! I love getting all the details! I'm glad things went so well!
Nurses are so lame!
I think you were brave and wonderful! At least you did not follow my example of repeatedly chanting/screaming: "I can't do this! I can't do this!" Nothing like a good dose of positive reinforcement to make a labor go smoothly!
Mom
Post a Comment