Sunday, May 2, 2010

Are We Ruining Him For Life??

"When I kill an animal, first I'll saw off its legs so it can't run away."

"I need a gun in one hand and a saw in the other so I can kill it and drag it by its ears."

"Did you know that I told the baby chick, 'We are going to eat you soon' ?"

-Jack, age 3

The pig we were raising for friends met its end on Thursday. Jack eagerly waited for the mobile slaughter to come. As soon as the truck pulled up, Jack was out there with the guy from getting the pig out of the horse trailer (why the pig was in the horse trailer is another story entirely) to the hanging of the skinned, gutted, pig halves in the truck. After the pig was dead, Sage, Charlotte and I joined Jack to stand 2 feet away from the guy working and gawk. From start to finish was 30 mins, and it was morbidly fascinating to watch. I would ask Jack occasionaly how it was going, and Jack would enthusiastically say GREAT!

The funny thing to me is that after we watched the pig slaughter, we went to preschool where Jack was totally grossed out by the gluestick he had that was a little dirty and had little bits of old projects still stuck on it. He made a disgusted face and threw it in the garbage. Are we ruining him for life?

1 comment:

ali said...

Hey...you may not be ruining Cowboy Jack for life...but I'm thinking of going back to my vegetarian ways!