Monday, April 26, 2010

Just Different

I'm sitting in front of the computer but I'm just thinking, so I thought I'd jot my thought down, no particular reason, just because...I apologize in advance for the meandering and incohesiveness this post will take.

I love Joel. He sometimes surprises me how awesome he is. And no, that isn't meant to be a put down in any shape, way or form. He is a good daddy that loves his kids, but then sometimes he just blows me away how awesome he is. Like tonight, he did a simple but totally awesome FHE lesson. He does that. I usually get more complicated with the lesson, with print outs and games, but then Joel does it his own way and it is just so, so, well, perfect.

When Jack was first born, and even admittedly still now, it was sometimes hard for me when Joel didn't do things with the kids in a way that I would have done them or how I think they should be done. Like how to discipline, or how to soothe a child. Or even how to play (more what constitutes play). (This was a realization for me because I never considered myself controlling or inflexible, wanting things just-so.) I spend every waking moment with the kids, and of course, I do things the way I do them because I think it is right way to do them, and of course since I do it a hundred times a day, the kids being my only 'job', my most important one at that, I must be better at them. Better is not even the right word for it. They are my department. It is what I studied in school. They are what I devote my entire day to, day in, day out. I guess I felt that I knew what I was talking about and somehow my opinions were more correct. How I do things is the 'norm' and the correct way of doing them. He just comes in and just ruins our routine. But I've come to understand that doing it differently is not better or worse, just different. And that's okay. Just different. I have my strong points, but so does Joel. He sure does a lot of things in the parenting department (and well, to be honest, every other department I can think of) better than me. He can blow me away of how brilliantly he handles a situation or comes up with the most creative, perfect, solution - things I totally would never think of myself. And I've found that I don't know it all. (Gasp!) That is precisely why there are two of us, so we can learn from and play off of each other.

Joel, thank you for being an great dad to our kids. Thank you for taking time to teach them how to work and do the things you can do. I learn so much from you.

3 comments:

Maxmomma said...

I know just what mean Morg. We were at Disneyland last week and Max had some spending money he immediately wanted to spend. Glenn told him he had to wait until 12:00 before he could spend anything. It was the perfect answer to help him see all his options before choosing and learn a LITTLE delayed gratification. It was a perfect answer that I would have never thought of.... Thank goodness for our good men!

Andrea said...

Awww, so sweet how much you love and admire Joel. It's really nice to be married to somebody that makes you feel that way. xoxox
How is my lil Charly? What dates will you be at the cabin in August?

ali said...

We call Joel the "Renaissance Man" because of his great capacity to do everything so well. Ya know, stuff like building a beautiful home with his own hands, revitalizing old, rusted cars into beautiful machines, building a chicken coop, pouring cement sidewalks and....well the list goes on and on. It was a joy for me to spend a few days in your home and watch your big, strong husband love and adore his children with gentleness and thoughtfulness. I'd say ya got a good man....and of course we know that he got a great gal! A perfect team! Mom