When we first moved to Montana we brought only what could fit into my Subaru. After kitchen items, baby items (including a crib), clothes for a cold winter, there was not much room for anything else. So I decided to start a new hobby: crocheting.
I'm such a loser and didn't make too much of an effort to start this. A while back my friend Heather who I roomed with at the U came to visit and I told her of my ambition that has never materialized. Well, she was a total sweetie and suprised me by sending me a box of yarn and her crocheting needles that she was not using. So about 2 weeks ago I looked online and learned how to crochet!
My first attempt was turning out to be a triangle, I had no idea what I was doing.
My second attempt was much better, but I still was pretty clueless. I know now that I was close, yet so far.
I had to buy a pad of paper and started to take notes off the websites I was looking at to hopefully make a little more sense. I finally got it. That lovely piece of work I did (pictured below) contains all these different types of stitches, even though I'm sure you can't really tell. It does make a little bit of an hour glass shape, but I was able to figure out where I went wrong.
So then I was ready for a project. Stupidly I picked something round. I didn't have the right colored yarn, but the blue monster below is supposed to be a frog. It is so ugly that it is kinda cute. I was supposed to stuff it with fiberfill but I chose beans for a hacky-sack feel instead.
Not much to look at, I know. But I started doing an octopus that is turning out even better than my frog - and it is purple, a little closer color to the real thing. I also started making little booties for the baby. They look more like the snow boots mom bought the girls for Christmas. I'm also going to make the baby a little poncho. It has been fun to learn this new skill. I do like the end results. So, for a while, when you get presents from me, they are probably going to be crocheted something or another.
Here are the websites that were the most helpful to me in this endeavor:
4 comments:
Morg, I think your frog is cute! I'm excited to see your other projects. You are amazing.
Sorry, another comment...the stuff you could make with crocheting, I never knew. (If you hadn't noticed I just saw the link you posted)Some of the stuff was actually quite cute. Yet again, I am excited to see what you come up with...Miss Crafty. :p
The big blue frog - that's something that can be marketed. I think there's a song "I'm in love with a Big Blue Frog" Maybe it's Big Green Frog -
I look forward to my adult-size footed PJs that you are sure to crochet and send to me this year.
Wow Morg! You are such an amazing, crafty person! I think your frog turned out so great! It's cute! Anything that's a frog would be a hit at our house! :) Way to go, you talented woman, you!
Post a Comment