Monday, February 11, 2008

Sunday School

I don't know why this got me a little exasperated, but it did. With Joel's job we are somehow now in Hardin, MT. We've been here for about 2 months and have about 2 more to go. From there, who knows where we will be heading to. Anyways, on to my rant.... This substitute Sunday School teacher is an eccentric, but nice lady. We are in the beginning of the Book Of Mormon, and thus Laman and Lemuel are star players, per say, in this part of the record. She has been subbing for a few weeks now, the teacher being chronically ill. She has been ripping on Laman and Lemuel and their unbelief. "How many miracles do they have to see to get it? I mean, they heard the voice of the Lord. That would have put it through anyones head that they need to stop and change, but no, they were just......blah blah blah." (For anyone reading, just to clarify, where we live in Hardin - half the town is on a Crow Reservation. She is white, but is married to a Native American guy, and so these are NOT racial feelings.) So, I spoke up. I remember growing up that we are probably more like Laman and Lemuel than Nephi. And so I said something along the lines of, "Well, how many times do we have to be told? The prophets, the mouthpieces of the Lord, tell us the same things over and over again, and we need to be told because we obviously are not getting it. We forget, just like Laman and Lemuel." She said that she didn't know how many times I have to be told, but she thinks hearing the voice of the Lord would be enough for anyone. I don't think she got my point. Funny thing is that after church she called to someone, I don't know who, her husband, a kid, I don't know. She was not heard or ignored but she continued talking saying, "That's too bad, because I was going to say let's go to Pizza Hut after church". I don't think she got my point. It did make me chuckle. That's my rant.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

So there's a difference between ignoring direct instruction from the Lord as opposed to direct instruction from the Lord through a prophet?

Keep on with the blogging, lady!

Lauren said...

That's funny. It seems she doesn't get it in general. :) I love that you have a blog. It looks great! I'll bookmark it and check it regularly. I love hearing about y'all and how you're doing! Love you lots!

-Lo