Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Released

IMG_5075

I was released 2 weeks ago from my calling as Primary Chorister.  I was pretty sad about it.  It took me by surprise.  I had not the slightest idea.  I really enjoyed this calling – it was fun yet challenging, and I totally loved the kids -  and feel I did the best I could with it.  And that helps me feel at peace with it, having no regrets or feeling that I could have done better.  It is amazing how many times I have received inspiration about how to teach various songs or how to handle situations with hard-to-handle kids.  I’m so thankful that I didn’t have to it alone.

I have a testimony of the Primary music.  I think everything you need to know about the gospel can be learned from the songs in Primary.  I know that the new song this year helped me tremendously through Charlotte’s labor, and has really become embedded in me.  “I know He lives, I will follow faithfully, My heart I give to Him, I know that my Savior loves me”.  I sing it over and over on difficult days when the kids are driving me crazy, knowing that I’m doing exactly what I’m supposed to be doing by being a mom, and I am giving my heart to Him by loving and serving my children.

So my new calling?  Ward Organist.  I’ve played for Sacrament meeting from the time I was 11, starting in Australia as Ward Pianist, and then moving up to the organ in South Africa.  No, I’m not bragging, but I do feel quite comfortable with the Hymns.  I haven’t played in sacrament meeting, except for a few special musical numbers, in what, 9 years?  So I’m a bit rusty.  I am really looking forward to mastering the foot pedals, something I’ve never really done.  It is going to be hard with Charly’s eating habits, but what do you do. 

I’m sure going to miss Primary, having been there for over 5 years in various callings.  I’m afraid I won’t be able to sit still and pay attention in Sunday School and Relief Society.  Wish me luck!

5 comments:

Rheanna said...

Wohoo for ward organists! I was "temporarily" called as our organist over 3 years ago and was told I would be released once they found someone to replace me....still the ward organist :o) I'm still not very good at the pedals, but I love playing. Just wait til you have to watch Joel wrangle the kids during Sacrament Meeting-that's always entertaining (and sometimes mortifying :o)!!!

Maxmomma said...

I am sure you were an awesome PRimary Chorister! They are lucky to have your many talents. Also, I LOVE this pic from Charly's blessing. What a gorgeous momma you are!

Britt Wright said...

Oh that Charly is georgeous! (And I do recognize that outfit!) Good luck in being the organist! You will rock...and feel a little bit closer to the Motab's organist. (haha, j/k)

Lauren said...

Awww! I bet they were super sad to lose you in Primary! I don't know what we would do with out our "singing lady!" It sounds like your talents are needed all over the place! I remember when we came to visit y'all in S.A. and you were playing the organ. I was so impressed! (and still am)! What a talent! Love you! The picture of you and Charly is adorable! Love you!

Lauren said...

Yes, I do love you that much. ;)