Nice picture, eh? Joel felt this was definitely a blog-worthy picture. Seeing that today is Father’s Day, I decided to have something go right today and post this just for Joel.
We did our own meat chickens this year. It was quite the adventure. I didn’t really partake in the whole slaughtering, seeing that I was inside cooking and baby feeding, but I did the roasting!
The whole process was pretty quick. My folks and lil’ brother were here for the first couple chickens. Thabo used the hatchet and became our executioner. We did 7 more with some friends a couple of days afterwards. We still have about 7 more to do. If we are going to get serious and do it every year, I think we should really consider making a chicken plucking machine.
I still find it really cool how bodies are – I always seem to forget how little blood there is on the inside, everything packed neatly away in their little balloons.
The process went as followed – killing, scalding, plucking, gutting, cooking/freezing. I think the grossest part that Joel left the chicken heads in a garbage can next to the coop. I forgot about it until a few days later and I walked by and saw all those heads in the can. It made me jump because I wasn’t expecting them. (I told Joel that he needed to take care of them, but then it rained. So instead of putting them in the garbage can he threw them out in the pasture. After which several heads found their way on our grass. This was not surprising in the least because of the dogs, but surprising to me that I’ve gotten really thick skinned and wasn’t too phased by it. That would have totally grossed me out a few years back. But now I’m sure I’ve totally grossed all of you out by writing my meandering thoughts, but there you have it.)
Joel, Joel, Joel. My dear Joel. This is just an example of one of the many adventures you have taken me on. Things that I never would dream of. You have stretched me, broadened my horizons, not to mention stretching my body to an unbelievable size with those “chunky” (personal joke) babies. I’m so happy that I can travel life’s roads with you. Thank you for your hard work. Thank you for teaching our children how to work. Thank you for loving me. I love you like crazy. Happy Father’s Day!
3 comments:
Tell Joel that is a pretty disgusting pic for us city folk, but glad to hear you're loving life.
Totally gross me out! I'm glad that you're having a lot of fun experiences. Can't wait to hear more of them!
I'm thinking I should become a hand model! What's funny is that I didn't post this pic on my blog becuase I thought other people would ... something, I don't know. Way to go for having the guts to gross people out. That sounded funny. Anyway, thanks for letting us use your camera and for sending the pictures our way.
Post a Comment