Thursday, April 23, 2009

They're Alive!

As mentioned, we have been working on our garden. Usually we get plants from our friends John and Linda Sanchez, but this year we decided to be adventurous and start them from seed. The past few Family Home Evenings, this is what we have been doing. (Now every time we so much look at the plants, Jack wants us to gather 'round the piano to sing and say prayers, and then eat popcorn.)
It is amazing to me that seeds actually grow - and that we can grow them! It is amazing to see how much they grow in just one day. And thinking about how much food is going to come - crazy! We planted goose neck squash, zucchini squash, basil, cantaloupe, potatoes, onions, bell peppers, hot peppers, 3 types of tomatoes, and still have more to do. Perhaps our garden plot will be too small. But I think we will be able to feed the masses. I also want to do fruit plants and trees, but we'll see how it goes. Maybe next year. I want to have grass someday too. One thing at a time. Happy planting!

3 comments:

Kevin said...

"One thing at a time" adds up quickly for me and I get impatient.
That's exciting. We'll all have to have a harvest party to celebrate the end of our gardens. You know, dance under the late summer moon and eat fresh veggies till we puke - or something.

Britt Wright said...

Yeah!!! You're plants look great! And I also like it how you are posting more often....I wish I could...I still can't find the camera cord. Aaaahhh.

Nathan said...

I think you'll have a 2 year storage in your garden! Way to go country morg!