Friday, January 23, 2009

What Makes a Man

Tomorrow the Elder's Quorum is having a shooting competition here at the house. The Young Men and High Priests are invited too. The prize will be bragging rights. This activity, and a few other events, has got me thinking about men. What makes a man? Especially out here where we live, where men are mostly manly men with lots of guns. I've beeen reflecting a lot on the men in my life, namely my dad, big brother (sorry Thabo, we'll see if you make the cut when you get older - you are on the right track though), Grandpa Tanner, my father-in-law, and of course Joel. What makes a man, a real man, a manly man? Here are a few things that I have thought of. I'll probably add to it as I think of things later on.

A man is a provider.

A man has a listening ear and good advice when needed.

A man is always there when you need him.

A man can open those drasted lids on canning jars, (only after you get it loose from trying to get it off after 15 mins of hurting your hands and wrists, of course)

A man loves, plays with, builds up, and has joy in his children.

A man communicates, and can share his thoughts and feelings.

A man lives his testimony, taking serious things seriously.

A man can apologize when he has done wrong.

A man puts his family first.

A man is a hard worker.

A man is honest.

A man cooks, cleans, and does laundry.

A man feels good enough about himself that he doesn't feel the need to put other people down.

A man adores his wife, and lets her know it frequently.

I have had lots of very good men in my life. What examples they have been to me, setting the bar high, making me want to be a better woman. I have a deep a love for these manly man. Maybe Jack, when you get older and find this entry, you will be a real man too. I pray so. I know if you follow in the footsteps of those before you, it will be pleasing to our Heavenly Father. May we all love and respect our men.

4 comments:

Britt Wright said...

This is so true! We have such great men in our family! They are great examples and you know they would do anything for the family.

Mary Victoria said...

Great entry Morg! I'll just cut & paste the requirements for my future hubby ;)

We do have amazing men in our family...I count them as my many blessings. The women ain't too shabby either! Ha!

vickiticki said...

Amen... well said

jesus g said...

I dont blog a lot but after reading you blog I felt like I would like to share my thoughts on what makes a man: JESUSCHRIST. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrdujqlXbHQ
What blows my mind Is the fact that eventhough the great power he had, he decided not to use violence to defend his freedom, life, country or believes. He said that no one who loves wife or family or son more than him deserves him. I think that after he established the standards of what makes a man, he would make look the rest of the world as a group of cowards that fight for their countries, families freedom and such. I hope you take a look at the video, it is from the movie the passion of christ and was edited and added the bryan adams song everything I do I do it for you. enjoy the video.
Thanks