Monday, April 28, 2008

Counting Down

Personal BLAH entry....

I've been thinking a lot lately about how I spend my time. It seems that lately my life is full of waiting right now - count downs. Some are good and some are starting to feel a little wearing. Some examples:

10 weeks till baby due

June 13th is when we are supposedly going back to OR (I won't believe it until I see it)
Jack just went down to bed - I have exactly 1 hr until he wakes
Joel will be home in 4 hrs
Start cooking dinner in 5 hrs
1 hr until we go to laundry mat to p/u laundry, then 1 week until we run out of underwear
7 hrs until Jack goes to bed
2 days until payday, then go to Costco

The list can go on and on. All these things are never exact. Whenever I have lunch ready right at 11, Joel goes out to lunch or comes home late. Whenever I have not started lunch, Joel is home at 11 on the dot. If I go and put the clothes in the dryer before Jack's nap time, planning that he will wake and the clothes be dry at the same time, Jack decides to take an extra long nap. Then, more waiting, hoping no one takes our clothes out of the dryer or steals them. All this waiting.

So I decided not to spend my days according to these exact countdowns. I have to use the time right now to do the things that need to be done (and occasionally some things I WANT to have done). I started making excuses why I couldn't do or start something because of perceived time limits. Nothing was ever done, with much time wasted just waiting for something to happen. I feel better about my days now. During Jack's naps, I have started doing things for me, fun things (like work on my curtains, read, etc). The house is miraculously cleaner and the dishes almost always done.

I think part of this frustration has been that we are kinda just burning rubber here in Hardin. Are we going? Are we staying? When will we know? When will it happen? Then what from there? We don't have anything here - just bare neccessities. What started as a 2-3 month gig has been 5 months already, with at least 1 1/2 more to go. Which is fine, and we are just living life as much as we can be, but the unsettled feeling is perhaps starting to get a little wearing. We don't really care where we will be, but just being somewhere would be nice. If and when we go back to Irrigon, a lot of my counting downs will still be there. But a lot won't even be an issue. (We will have a washer and dryer, a dishwasher, we know where we will be, and have a baby!)

Congrats if you made it to the end of this entry. I just needed to get it out of my system.

3 comments:

Britt Wright said...

You are such a trooper...you have made a great life with the bare necessities. You really are an example to me. Also, when you go back to OR, you'll be so grateful for the basic "luxuries" to have at your fingertips. Just hang in there! love ya.

Emily S. said...

Thanks for writing this! It is so authentic and I bet most gals who read it will understand exactly how you feel...
I, personally, loved the insight into who you are a bit. And I can sympathize with many parts of it.

Hang in there!!

Lauren said...

Oh Morg! I'm sorry sweetie! You are doing great! Waiting is not an easy thing to do! You are a champ and you're keeping your family's best interest at the forefront! Things will get better, but you know that! Thanks for sharing with us! I hope you know I'm here for you, any time you want to chat (you know, while you're waiting for laundry or something). ;) Love you!